Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Class Act

Very sad to hear about Marianne. She was a wit, a personality, a mensch. One of the first of many passionate and gifted poets I met in Sonoma County. Donna Champion brought me to the Russian River Writers Guild for a holiday party, and introduced me to Maureen Hurley, Glenn Ingersoll, Paul Mariah and Marianne. I was nervous & young, and whatever poem I shared with the group that night was, I'm sure, crap. But Marianne, a gracious and nurturing presence, smiled and told me how wonderful the poem was.

Wait, I remember the poem now! It's in a drawer somewhere, if I haven't burned it. Yes, it truly was crap.

Ah, Marianne, thank you, dear, for your warmth and gentleness. And also, as I came to know you, your candor and your kvetching. But, always, with the light of understanding and a rare generosity underneath.

Marianne Ware taught both in the classroom and by example. She was not seeking fame. She merely loved poetry and kept it in her garden. She gave seedlings to others. She made more than poems. She made a life into which poems would always be welcomed. What a pleasure for me and for so many others to have shared in the bounty of that life.

D. A. Powell

3 comments:

Jim McCrary said...

She was a giant among them all on that river. A lot of memories of water, dope, laughter and whatnot in Monte Rio, G-ville etc. Those WERE the day.

mccrary

Maureen Hurley said...

Jim

So good to hear from you again! OMG, what're you doing in Kansas? Please send me your email if you want to post an author page—if you/i/we can even remember those halcyon GoodOldDaze, that is.

A View to a Kill said...

Hey Jim,

You'll be happy to know I have a poster from the Lawrence gathering that you participated in and showed me video from back in the eighties. It always reminds me of watching the Sappho segment at your apt. with Steve Tills and Henry Mancini. I hope you still have that tape. And hope you're well. Still have my copy of Edible Pets.

yrs,

Doug